With the mission of reinventing real estate making it transparent, instant and exciting, Spotahome was founded in March 2014. It is the first platform designed for direct booking of accommodation of 30 days or more, taking away one of the biggest headaches for people planning to move abroad and making finding a new home secure, transparent, fast and easy. Spotahome operates in 7 different countries and 10 cities across the EMEA region, with a headcount of 270 people from over 30 different nationalities. To prepare for future expansion and growth, Spotahome is opening a global hub in London where the new C-level suite will be placed.
The level of user engagement is extraordinary -- i.e., the company has 6 times the Trustpilot user feedback of Onefinestay despite being founded only 4 years ago -- with 90% leaving an 'Excellent' or 'Great' review rating.
Spotahome has raised a total of $72 million. It is a private series B company backed by Kleiner Perkins, Passion Capital and Seaya Ventures as main investors. It is the first time KPCB (and any top-tier VC from Silicon Valley) invested in Spain. Investors also include Arthur Kosten (Booking.com), Alexander Aggashippour (Zendesk), Klaus Nyengaard (Just Eat),), and other top executives from Amazon, Facebook, Uber, Dropbox, BBVA, Stubhub, Momondo etc. Spotahome recently hired Balaji Nageswaran (SVP HelloFresh and former Amazon in Seattle) as their Chief Product Officer, Cleo Sham (Director of Operations, Uber EMEA and Uber China) as their Chief Operations Officer, and Angel Azcarraga (Director, Software Development at Amazon) as their Chief Technology Officer.
The new COO, Cleo Sham, is looking for a General Manager for Lisbon who will be responsible for all day-to-day operations and growth in Lisbon, with the potential of overseeing Portugal. You will build and lead the team, will own the P&L and its performance. As GM you will be responsible for the local market strategy and its execution. You will have the opportunity to lead the 3.0 generation of proptech in Portugal, and make Spotahome the #1 place to go for mid-long term rentals. You have a vital role in all aspects to make that happen -- from hiring top talent, to community outreach for tenants and landlords, navigating regulatory relationships, driving customer acquisition and retention, motivating the operational team, and creative problem solving.
The role requires a highly versatile and well rounded leader, someone who can create and drive strategy but also roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty. It's the intersection of leadership, analytics, creativeness, and problem solving that makes this an exciting and challenging job.
2018 Forbes article
2018 Bloomberg article
- Growing the business. Execution is key. You'll be responsible for growing GMV, bookings, and revenue. You'll define and implement the growth strategy and associated operating and marketing plan to enable the business to achieve agreed targets in terms of growth and profitability
- Building the team. You will be responsible for defining hiring needs in your market and bringing on top talentto help execute on the day-to-day, while also setting the future strategy. Leading by example and establishing a fun, inclusive, and entrepreneurial environment
- Oversee budgeting, P&L performance, and financial optimization to reach profitability targets. Identify opportunities to grow and improve efficiency across the business
- Stay ahead of the curve. Be part of innovating in the industry; maintain up-to-date knowledge of the marketplace, regulations, competitors and trends
- Formulate annual business plan to include sales strategies and forecasts that leads to the creation of value and growth
- You'll represent Spotahome in the community local events, in local media, and in communication with external stakeholders
- Contribute and share best practices with peers, COO and Spotahome HQ
- Maintain a positive working environment that is conducive to attracting, retaining and motivating staff, while at the same time embodying and promoting Spotahome's Mission, Vision and Values.
- 7+ years of experience in business management, operations, strategy, technology, business development or similar role.
- Analytical Thinking. Data-driven mentality and strong business judgment. Able to roll up your sleeves and analyze the data and pull key insights for your team.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Stellar relationship building skills with their team, cross-functional colleagues, and external partners; and the ability to foster business partnerships from negotiation to execution.
- Effective project management experience involving multiple stakeholders and meeting deadlines.
- Experience with executing marketing campaigns and driving data-backed, creative marketing initiatives. Experience with CRM tools and A/B testing a plus.
- Experience navigating the legal, financial, product and operational complexities in running a global marketplace.
- Leadership by example. Able to motivate, inspire and create an inclusive and positive work environment for all. Experience leading a team, with willingness to invest in coaching and development of your team members.
- Entrepreneurship mentality. Ability to think outside the box, to truly imagine and articulate a strategy to unleash the full market potential for the company. A self-starter and leader that assumes the risks and rewards of running an innovative, sustainable operation.
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills. Able to communicate and listen effectively; great written, verbal and presentation skills in both Portugese and English is a must.
- Knowledge of the real estate industry or prior experience with real estate developers, property managers, or any other actors in the industry is a plus.
- Passion for reinventing the real estate industry and changing the market forever. Passion for leading the revolution.
- BA/BS with strong academic record. MBA/Advanced degree a plus.