Come help us build the best AI-powered English speech assistant with over 4M app downloads. You will work alongside speech scientists, mobile developers and designers to develop and improve the backend technology powering ELSA. About us
ELSA (English Language Speech Assistant) Corp. is a San Francisco-based startup with engineering offices in Portugal, India and Vietnam. Our vision is to enable everyone to speak foreign languages with full confidence, reaching better life and career opportunities. Our flagship product, ELSA speak, is a personal mobile coach who improves our users' English pronunciation using our own state-of-the-art speech recognition technology.
Our engineering team is organized in squads and practice a 2-week per sprint scrum methodology. We have daily standups around coffee and team synchups weekly. Our computer architecture runs in Kubernetes and is mostly based on python and vue.js stack The Role
At ELSA we have developed our own backend infrastructure using a python-based stack that manages everything that happens in the apps (user profile and scoring, purchases, content management, etc.). As a backend developer you will be helping improve and optimize the backend infrastructure that communicates with the apps. You will be responsible for the implementation of the backend components needed for all new features we will implement into the apps.
As part of your job you will:
- Transform abstract ideas specifications into actionable engineering tasks
- Design and implement new backend support for new ELSA features. Maintain existing features
- Interact with other technical and non-technical members of the ELSA team to build a high quality product
- Write automated tests and technical documentation to increase code robustness and easy to use by other developers.
- Track user bug reports to find their root cause in our backend code, and apply solutions to them.
- 4+ years of experience as a backend or full-stack developer.
- extended experience in python and Linux.
- Practice professional software development (Automated testing, code reviews, CI/CD)
- Be curious and eager to learn, be a team player and be ready to put a lot of effort in the project
- Good communication skills in English, both oral and written.
What we offer
- Experience with software architecture design to design and implement new features from scratch.
- Prior experience building the backend for end-customer products.
- Competitive salary according to seniority
- Stock options package
- Flexible working hours
- Ample room to grow professionally
- Friendly work environment, no office politics
- Experience the true startup spirit of a fast growing and well funded Silicon Valley startup
- Opportunity to work on a mission that can transform the lives of 1.5 Billion language learners around the World
Send your GitHub handle and your CV to