Would you like to be part of a public policy team focused on increasing awareness and adoption of Amazon Web Services (AWS)* and the utility cloud model amongst enterprises and the public sector and regulated industry (e.g., utilities, financial services and healthcare) market segments in Portugal? Do you have government affairs experience to help further advance AWS as a leading cloud platform provider at the country and regional level in Portugal?
Amazon Web Services is the leading provider of cloud computing services, providing IT infrastructure offerings such as on-demand compute capacity, storage, content delivery, database services and more. We are looking for a talented, innovative, and well-connected individual to represent AWS in Portugal that are strategically important to the AWS business. The successful candidate will proactively build relationships with key policymakers, IT decision makers and executives in government and other relevant organizations and help prioritize international, national, and regional government public policy issues faced by AWS. You will address policy risks to the business as well as advance strategic business opportunities and initiatives in these market segments. This position will also lead AWSs participation in key business associations and coalitions that are critical to advancing AWS public policy and business objectives. You will become familiar with all aspects of AWSs business, and interface directly with the business units in the region. This Lisbon/Madrid-based government affairs and policy position, which will also participate in the AWS Europe, Middle-East & Africa Public Policy team, shall:
- Develop, lead and implement government affairs advocacy objectives and policy/political priorities for Amazon Web Services (AWS) in Portugal;
- Develop position papers and advocacy documents to support advocacy goals; help align policy position across key functions; help ensure consistency in position across the AWS business on core policy issues.
- Represent key positions directly and through industry associations/coalitions to national governments in Portugal to enable an unrestricted, transparent and technology friendly regulatory environment for the growth of AWS;
- Assess and communicate potential regulatory threats and government sector market segment (revenue) opportunities and threats, develop mitigation or enhancement strategies and policy positions, and coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs and key initiatives in concert with AWS business objectives;
- Facilitate high-level meetings between AWS executives and key stakeholders, including senior government officials, regulators, industry association and alliance partners to promote and advocate the companys public policies;
- Determine, maintain and staff appropriate corporate membership opportunities in industry associations/coalitions on behalf of AWS, and ensure appropriate utilization of high judgment, high integrity outside consultants.
The successful candidate must be inquisitive, enthusiastic about technology, enjoy working hard and being continually challenged, and demonstrate sound judgment even in ambiguous situations. The responsibilities require that candidates be willing and able to make frequent trips across Portugal and Spain, as needed, to Brussels, London, Luxembourg, Seattle and other locations. Basic Qualifications
· Minimum of five years of experience in a relevant field of activity, preferably in a Public Policy or Public Relations environment/consultancy. Knowledge of European Union level policies related to telecommunications, IT and cloud computing issues is preferred
· Exceptional organizational skills with experience working on large projects involving planning, logistics, and budgeting. Demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at highest corporate, political and educational institution levels
· Experience in leading public policy relationships in education in digital skills and digital awareness projects will be an asset
· Team player who is willing to roll up their sleeves to get the job done
· Creativity and bias for action with the willingness to take ownership of projects and lead them through to conclusion
· Strong analytical skills, including ability to dive deep and understand how legislative and regulatory proposals may impact AWS business in Portugal
· Demonstrated ability to build and foster effective relationships and networks with others, as well as ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others is required.
· Exceptional time-management skills, including ability to prioritize and manage competing demands on your time
· Fluent Portuguese is necessary, as well as fluency in English. Further proficiency in other European languages would be an asset.
· A Bachelors degree is required, preferably in a relevant discipline (Law, Political Science, Corporate Communication, etc.). An advanced degree in Public Policy is preferred. Preferred Qualifications
· A passion for technology and an interest in growing a successful career in a Public Policy environment
· A strategic way of thinking and strong hands-on mentality
· A great deal of personal initiative, creativity, decisiveness, and team spirit
· Experience developing position papers and formal submissions for government agencies
· Previous role in a public policy or related team so as to bring best practices in team management and coordination to our function
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
By submitting your resume and application information, you authorize Amazon to transmit and store your information in the Amazon group of companies' world-wide recruitment database, and to circulate that information as necessary for the purpose of evaluating your qualifications for this or other job vacancies.